If-Range Question

From: Paul Hethmon <phethmon@utk.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 17:44:45 EST
To: HTTP-WG <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
I have a question about the intention of If-Range behavior under
certain conditions.

Given a request of the form:

GET /doc.html HTTP/1.1
If-Match: "abc"
Range: 500-1000
If-Range: "xyz"

Given the If-Match fails, you would return 412 except for the If-Range
being present. The problem is now what is meant to happen. The If-Range
has used a different entity tag which *does* match. Section 14.27 says
that if the entity tag matches, the server should return the sub-range
with a 206 return code, otherwise the entire entity and a 200 return
code.

Since the spec allows it, is there a reason to use a different entity
tag in the If-Range header? Is there a reason to have a parameter for
If-Range instead of refering to If-Match or If-Unmodified-Since parameters?

It seems putting an entity tag (or date) with the If-Range is redundant unless
there is a reason a client would want to retrieve a byte range of an
entity which doesn't match the primary entity tag sent.

Hopefully this is clear and hopefully I didn't miss the answer when
looking at the list archives.

thanks,

Paul

Paul Hethmon
phethmon@utk.edu
Computerman -- Agricultural Policy Analysis Center
NeoLogic Ftp & Mail Servers
Knoxville Warp User's: http://apacweb.ag.utk.edu/os2