Re: If-Range Question

From: Paul Hethmon <phethmon@utk.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 20:50:38 EST
To: Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
To: HTTP-WG <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Addressed to: Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
              HTTP-WG <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>

** Reply to note from Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> 07/07/96  3:08pm -0700

> If-Range and the other If-* headers won't be used together 99.9% of
> the time. See, here's the intended scenario (or something like it):
>
> A server sends a browser the first 100 bytes of a 1000 byte
> document with an entity tag of "abc". But the connection gets broken
> and the browser wants to go back and get the rest of it. So it sends:
>
> GET /foo HTTP/1.1
> Range: 100-999
> If-Range: "abc"

Ok. I see what I was reading now. I was reading the first paragraph
of 14.27 and thinking If-Range was meant as a modifier to only
a conditional GET using If-Unmodified-Since or If-Match.

I guess I just needed someone to point out the obvious.

thanks,

Paul

Paul Hethmon
phethmon@utk.edu
Computerman -- Agricultural Policy Analysis Center
NeoLogic Ftp & Mail Servers
Knoxville Warp User's: http://apacweb.ag.utk.edu/os2