Re: Major errors in Caching and Cache-Control

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:43:16 PDT
To: fielding@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> I do not feel that the sections on Caching and Cache-Control have
> had adequate review.  Scratch that -- I am sure that they have not
> been adequately reviewed, since they contain multiple protocol
> errors, inconsistency, and violation of basic HTTP design principles.

Roy,

I know you just sent this out, but I'll ask you to please wait until
you've double checked the version Jim's producing at the moment.

> Five of the cache directives in draft 04a have never been discussed
> on any public mailing list (including this one and that of the
> caching subgroup), and I have no idea if implementers will be willing
> to implement them (unlike the other directives, for which we obtained
> consensus before introducing them to the draft).

This is the public mailing mailing list. Implementors were encouraged
to review draft -03, draft -04a (WORKING GROUP LAST CALL), and,
barring that, the draft -04 being released today is available for
review. So I don't accept your assessment that sections have not had
adequate review. That's what we're doing now: reviewing.

Your technical concerns are noted, and I believe that all of the
problems you note as "FATAL" should be and will be reviewed carefully,
although "FATAL" or even "fatal" is hyperbole.

- Larry