RE: proposed HTTP changes for charset

Agreed 100%!  This last second flap is holding up standardization and
deployment of "Host:", persistent connections, and improved caching, all
of which are (with only mild hyperbole) required in order that the 'net
be able to continue to reliably deliver any content at all in the face
of exponential growth.

Nothing in 1.1 prevents accurate labelling of charset, and customer
demand will either cause or not cause that to be done by content
providers. I can assure you that the browsers and servers will be there
to support correctly labelled content.