Re: proposed HTTP changes for charset

From: Ted Hardie <hardie@merlot.arc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 09:15:12 -0700 (PDT)
To: Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.ca>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

Francois writes:
> Not good enough, I'm afraid.  For one, charset can still be ignored,
> and the problem we have now (its absence in most cases) will not be
> solved.  Further, ISO-8859-1 is still in, with no justification
> whatsoever.  If there is to be a default, it should be UTF-8, not a
> "local derivative" like Latin-1.

Francois,
	As Harald made very clear at the meetings in Montreal, the
group proposing UTF-8 as a target for new standards recognizes the
problems associated with an installed base of clients and servers;
they made very specific exceptions in their recommendations to deal
with that situation, naming HTTP's use of IS-8859-1 as one of those
exceptions.  Larry's language is appropriate for a deployed protocol
and for a reasonable transition.  If you want the group to consider
tightening the language further in later revisions of HTTP 1.1, please
develop a realistic transition plan and submit it as an I.D.  HTTP 1.1
is very far along the road at this point and it is not the place to
consider a sudden, basic shift in assumed character sets.
			regards,
				Ted Hardie
				NASA Science Internet