Re: proposal for a new html tag

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 11:25:30 PST
To: David - Morris <dwm@shell.portal.com>
Cc: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
    HTML and WWW norms tend to excessive fragmentation of information and
    too many hlinks to investigate just to guess which to follow.  There
    are many times when a complex subject (like the HTML specs) needs
    to be studied in a more linear sequence than can be achieved yet
    with current markup the author is discouraged from providing a well
    organized linear document.

Agreed.  This is a somewhat different problem than the one which
started this thread, but I would really like to see a browser that
supported a "flatten" command (maybe "flatten 1 level", "flatten N levels",
and "flatten entirely" commands).  I don't know if this would require
any additional HTML support.  I'm more interested in HTTP, and I think
this would not require anything new from HTTP (although it might be
nice to have an efficient way of asking for the entire set of documents
in one request).

-Jeff