Re: proposal for a new html tag

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 12:41:33 -0500
To: mogul@pa.dec.com
Cc: dwm@shell.portal.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>Agreed.  This is a somewhat different problem than the one which
>started this thread, but I would really like to see a browser that
>supported a "flatten" command (maybe "flatten 1 level", "flatten N levels",
>and "flatten entirely" commands).  I don't know if this would require
>any additional HTML support.  I'm more interested in HTTP, and I think

The problem with flattening is that you can drag in all kinds of
things you don't want, and what happens if it said "flatten 1000"!

DynaWeb has a parameter on the URL called MAXBYTES. Once the data size
exceeds this, it tries to generate a TOC. By setting MAXBYTES to some
large number, you can retrieve entire documents. No browser changes
needed.