Re: proposal for a new html tag

On Wed, 22 Mar 1995, Jeffrey Mogul wrote:
> Agreed.  This is a somewhat different problem than the one which
> started this thread, but I would really like to see a browser that
> supported a "flatten" command (maybe "flatten 1 level", "flatten N levels",
> and "flatten entirely" commands).  I don't know if this would require

This is known as "folding" on some editing/hypertext systems.

If we are only interested in folding as a means to allow readers to skim
through text and selectively reveal interesting bits, then this just
requires a new tag in HTML and browsers that will fold/unfold text in
response to this tag.
Aside: Should a recursive fold be allowed ?

However, if we are interested in folding as a means to reduce network
traffic, then things get somewhat more complex as has already been
suggested by others.

Liam
--
 Liam Relihan,                                        Voice: +353-61-202713
 CSIS, Schumann Building,        [space]                Fax: +353-61-330876