Re: Closure on canonicalization, I hope

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 21:54:19 -0800
To: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
> I was just on the verge of finishing up a paper explaining the issues,
> and proposing use of UTF etc. I will still send this out as it's
> relevant for browser writers, and HTML authors.

Yep.

> Just to clarify, in Larry's proposal, the Accept-charset is not required
> because we can do the same thing via:
>
>    Accept: text/html; charset=xxxx

Yep.

> However, how do we handle text/sgml, text/plaintext etc? Can they be
> handled the same way, or do we still need Accept-charset.

All text/* types use the charset parameter.
SGML would likely be application/sgml, and its character set is defined
in one of the declarations, though it could also have a charset paramenter
if that's how they define the media type.

......Roy Fielding   ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine  USA
                                     <fielding@ics.uci.edu>
                     <URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>