Re: HTTP: T-T-T-Talking about MIME Generation

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 20:35:10 -0800
To: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@hal.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Dan writes:

> I'd rather see more effort spent on
>
> 	(1) Specifying existing practice on HTTP/1.0, keeping an eye
> 	on opportunities to gateway/cache/proxy out of HTTP and into
> 	next-generation protocols.

doin' that

> 	(2) Carefully crafting HTTP-NG using an interface definition
> 	language like ASN/1 or OMG's IDL, so that it can be used
> 	with various transports and protocols. (ILU! ILU! ILU! ahem...)

Now that would be interesting!  Given all the packet-level games that
Simon wants to include in HTTP-NG, it would be interesting to see if it's
even possible to describe it with ILU.  That would certainly go a long
way toward making it easier to implement.

> 	(3) Investigating some name service and replication strategies
> 	so that links that we write today will continue to work tomorrow.

yep, no guarantees though.  I prefer small steps.

> 	(4) Coordinating implementation efforts, and working on
> 	a common base of reusable code.

doin' that, though it is important to have multiple common bases of
reusable code.

......Roy Fielding   ICS Grad Student, University of California, Irvine  USA
                                     <fielding@ics.uci.edu>
                     <URL:http://www.ics.uci.edu/dir/grad/Software/fielding>