Re: First reactions to mandatory draft

From: Koen Holtman (
Date: Thu, Jan 22 1998

From: (Koen Holtman)
To: (Henrik Frystyk Nielsen)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 19:43:37 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: First reactions to mandatory draft

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen:
>This is an unavoidable problem when multiple extensions share a single,
>global header field space and no central registry can hinder this. The
>alternative is to pass all extension information as parameters:
>	M-GET / HTTP/1.1
>	Host: foobar
>	Man: ""; Skidoo=abc,
>	     ""; Skidoo=def
>which avoids the problem altogether.

I highly prefer this alternative of passing all extension info as
parameters in the Man header.  Dynamically allocating collision-free
headers is so difficult that is is not worth the trouble (see my
comments on an earlier PEP draft for a discussion).  Why add a
complicated indirection layer if you do not need one?

If people really want headers, the draft can tell them to register
them in the upcoming IANA header registry.