Re: Application protocols and Address Translation

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 00:04:25 -0500
To: Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>
cc: "Dan Wing" <dwing@cisco.com>, discuss@apps.ietf.org

> or, if your application is connection-oriented, just use BEEP and stop caring
> as to whether there's a NAT (or a load-balancer or a ...) or not...

it's been awhile since I looked at BEEP...

does BEEP really allow apps to connect independently of which direction
the NAT prohibits traffic, and without any proxies being installed to
permit reverse connections?  does it also allow apps to connect as quickly
and reliably as they could connect in a non-NATed network using IP addresses,
or does it force apps to use DNS names?

Keith