Re: Application protocols and Address Translation

From: Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:52:36 -0800
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org

> > or, if your application is connection-oriented, just use BEEP and stop
> > caring as to whether there's a NAT (or a load-balancer or a ...) or not...
>
> it's been awhile since I looked at BEEP...
>
> does BEEP really allow apps to connect independently of which direction
> the NAT prohibits traffic, and without any proxies being installed to
> permit reverse connections?  does it also allow apps to connect as quickly
> and reliably as they could connect in a non-NATed network using IP addresses,
> or does it force apps to use DNS names?

if you can establish a single TCP connection, then you can have arbitrary
message patterns (e.g., initiator receives requests from listener) and/or you
can multiplex traffic over it, if your application so chooses.

obviously, there are some network configurations where you can't establish a TCP
connection, and in cases like that, you need the help of an intermediary and the
BEEP tunnel profile...

/mtr