Re: Application protocols and Address Translation

From: Brian E Carpenter <brian@hursley.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 13:18:18 +0100
To: Carl Ford <carl@ietfwatch.net>
Cc: discuss@apps.ietf.org

Carl Ford wrote:

> One aspect of this to be discussed is the ease of use of getting the IP
> addresses.  Nats have a simple plug and play value that is a counter-balance
> to getting IP addresses allocated. Particularly when most folks have used the
> ISP for this function.

That's exactly why the model (and the registry policy) is that what
ISPs should give to subscribers is a *prefix* not an address,
with /48 being the preferred prefix length and /64 the second-best.

IMHO, the IETF community's job should be to make applications that
run better with a good supply of addresses and without NAT. Beyond
that we get into economic or regulatory questions, where the IETF
can't play.

   Brian