RE: Adding a new file to an activity

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:22:31 -0500
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
I agree with all of Tim's responses in this message except for
the following;

   From: Tim Ellison [mailto:Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com]

   "Kirmse, Daniel" <daniel.kirmse@sap.com> wrote:

   > As I come to think of it: MKCOL will not cause an
   > working-collection to be created when performed on a
   > version-controlled collection, will it?  Because at MKCOL it is
   > not clear wether the created collection will be under
   > version-control (if no auto-version-control behavior is
   > implemented). Or more precise: MKCOL creates
   > non-version-controlled collections (if no auto-version-control
   > behavior is implemented)?

   although the new collection will not be version-controlled, the
   parent of the new collection will have been modified to add the new
   internal member name, so it much be checked-out (automatically or
   otherwise).  Inthis respect, there is no difference between a MKCOL
   and a PUT, DELETE, etc.

No, only the addition/removal of a version-controlled internal
member requires the version-controlled collection to be checked out.
In particular, quoting from section 14:

 "Non-version-controlled bindings are not under version control, and
 therefore can be added or deleted without checking out the
 version-controlled collection."

So you do not need to checkout a version-controlled collection in
order to use PUT and MKCOL to create new non-version-controlled
resources in that collection, or use DELETE to delete
non-version-controlled resources from that collection.