RE: Creating new version-controlled bindings referencing existing VHR's

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 19:09:26 -0400
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
   From: Roy Seto [mailto:Roy.Seto@oracle.com]

   I have a question about version-controlled collections.

   Is there currently an interoperable way for clients to add a
   binding in a version-controlled collection to a VCR whose
   DAV:version-history is an existing VHR?

Yes, just use the VERSION-CONTROL request with a version
specified.

   One use case would
   be client completion of a MERGE whose target was a
   version-controlled collection, where the server added a
   source collection version to that target's DAV:merge-set
   instead of its DAV:auto-merge-set.

Yes.

   I couldn't find a way to do this, though the BIND method
   proposed in the expired Internet-Draft on WebDAV bindings,

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/collection/draft-ietf-webdav-binding-
protocol-02.txt

   seems like it might work if it were standardized,
   particularly if BIND were extended to create a new VCR when
   its request-URI was a version resource.

I wouldn't advocate that approach, since you might want to
actually bind a version resource into a collection without
automatically creating a VCR.

   Is there an existing interoperable way to do what I want
   that I have overlooked? Also, if there isn't, is my thinking
   about BIND going in a reasonable direction?

Yes (see above), and no (see above :-).