Creating new version-controlled bindings referencing existing VHR's

From: Roy Seto <Roy.Seto@oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 12:20:09 -0700
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
I have a question about version-controlled collections.

Is there currently an interoperable way for clients to add a
binding in a version-controlled collection to a VCR whose
DAV:version-history is an existing VHR? One use case would
be client completion of a MERGE whose target was a
version-controlled collection, where the server added a
source collection version to that target's DAV:merge-set
instead of its DAV:auto-merge-set.

I couldn't find a way to do this, though the BIND method
proposed in the expired Internet-Draft on WebDAV bindings,

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/collection/draft-ietf-webdav-binding-protocol-02.txt

seems like it might work if it were standardized,
particularly if BIND were extended to create a new VCR when
its request-URI was a version resource.

Is there an existing interoperable way to do what I want
that I have overlooked? Also, if there isn't, is my thinking
about BIND going in a reasonable direction?

Thanks,
Roy