Re: Versions being deleted during a MERGE...

Hi,

"Clemm, Geoff" wrote:

> A server is of course free to refuse the DELETE request,
> and indicate as its reason that it didn't want to satisfy
> the postcondition that would remove that version URL from
> the DAV:merge-set.

I thought the servers (to be compliant) MUST enforce the postconditions.
Are you saying a deltav compliant server needs not honour all the
postconditions?  If servers do not honour the postconditions would it not
lead to possible non-interoperability?

> Note thought that even if the server allows the deletion,
> there is no race condition here, though,
> just some dangling version URL's that will return 404's
> when accessed.

The condition I was thinking of was when client A issues the MERGE request
(which checks-out the VCR) but after getting the HTTP response for the
query for
the checked-out resources DAV:merge-set client B deletes one of the
versions
referenced in that set.  Client A then goes on to do a GET (for example) to
retrieve
the content to be merged but it would fail (with a 404).....client B's
DELETE got there
first!

I guess I would implement Tims idea and lock down all the resources before
beginning the interactive merge.

Also I just noticed that in section 11.2 we define merged-set, updated-set,

and ignored-set but the example in section 11.2.1 has <D:update-set> etc
not <D:updated-set> etc.

Regards,
Peter Raymond - MERANT.