Versioning without versions?

From: Eckhard Kantz <deltav@wegalink.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:25:33 +0200
To: <ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org>
Cc: <Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de>
I joined the DeltaV mailing list only recently after the Interop event, however, I would like to
make some comments to the DAVE proposal.

[Jim Amsden wrote]
> The correct solution to this problem is distributed event notification which
> is something we should consider adding to WebDAV at some point. You may
> even see proprietary versions of this capability in some vendor servers.
> In the meantime, your client UI should have a very prominent "Refresh"
> button, and users should make good use of it to be sure the UI is as
> up-to-date as possible.
>
> Anyone interested in a new WebDAV working group to add event notification?
> We could call it DAVE.

Actually, event notification would open many new opportunities and it could possibly turn the
current philosophy of maintaining prohibitions (LOCK, CHECKOUT) into a new approach towards
supporting collaboration (event notification, awareness).

Additionally, this could be the right time to replace the current two-dimensional resource model
(url + version) by a more natural three-dimensional model (url + principal + time). Please note that
the three-dimensional model would make locking, checking in/out as well as versions superfluous. It
would make multiple team members working on one source file the normal case as it is already today
in software development projects where I am involved in. Obviously merging resources becomes more
and more important in such a szenario. Maybe a specification could also provide some framework for
this activity?

Eckhard