From: Jim Amsden [mailto:jamsden@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 7:42 PM
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: RE: Allow: header and supported methods

One problem with Lisa's summary below is when the UI shows an operation as
unavailable when it actually is. For example, the UI might show a resource
as locked by someone else (red in Lisa's tool), but the lock may have
timed our, or the user may have released the lock. In this case, the UI is
preventing the user from doing something that is actually possible. The
correct solution to this problem is distributed event notification which
is something we should consider adding to WebDAV at some point. You may
even see proprietary versions of this capability in some vendor servers.
In the meantime, your client UI should have a very prominent "Refresh"
button, and users should make good use of it to be sure the UI is as
up-to-date as possible.

Anyone interested in a new WebDAV working group to add event notification?
We could call it DAVE.

"Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com>
Sent by: ietf-dav-versioning-request@w3.org
08/14/2001 07:14 PM