Auto Update

Actually, it isn't quite that bad, Lisa.

Assume that we use the auto-update feature as written.

Then, a server that doesn't support UPDATE should fail the checkout of a
version vs. the checkout of a VCR.

In other words:
CHECKOUT of VCR without <apply-to-version> does a IN-PLACE CHECKOUT.
CHECKOUT of VCR with    <apply-to-version> does a WORKING-RESOURCE
CHECKOUT, and UPDATE isn't required.
CHECKOUT of Version MAY fail, if UPDATE isn't supported AND 'CHECKOUT
without UPDATE' isn't supported.

So it would be nice to have a post condition on CHECKOUT of a VERSION
which said:
<checkout-of-version-forbidden>
- A Server that supports WORKING-RESOURCE but not UPDATE MAY prohibit
the checkout of a version.  Use CHECKOUT with <apply-to-version> on the
VCR.

That postcondition makes the WORKING-RESOURCE with the <auto-update>
proposal independent of UPDATE.  It would also make it clear that this
particular server did not believe in creating versions that did not
update VCR's.

Note: part of the problem is that Tim has an application in mind that
creates versions and doesn't update any version-controlled resource.
Our imaginination isn't that large, and we aren't interested in
supporting that application.