From: Connelly, Stuart [mailto:sconnelly@ordsvy.gov.uk]
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 6:38 AM
To: 'w3c-dist-auth@w3.org'
Subject: [Moderator Action] webDAV - web authoring or flexible two-way
web interface ?

Can I use this forum to ask a dumb question? Already have....

Say I have a large database of geographic features; points/lines/areas.
All
features have a unique id.  The supply of data to read access clients is
based on a cgi script executing a query and then returning dynamic content.
(e.g. All objects in a given rectangle).

Now I want to give clients the ability to update this database via the web.
One method would be to define lock/transaction interfaces that embed
information within HTTP POST messages. (I think this is termed
RPC-via-POST?).

Perhaps another method would be to use the WebDAV extensions. But reading
the WebDAV information on the web it isn't clear if WebDAV can be used for
dynamic web pages - it all seems geared-up for editing of text pages. Am I
barking up the wrong tree in looking at WebDAV?

Out of my depth but not drowning yet,

Stuart Connelly