Re: New draft-yergeau-rfc2279bis-05.txt

From: Markus Scherer <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:21:06 -0700
To: charsets <ietf-charsets@iana.org>

McDonald, Ira wrote:
> Which reminds me that the recently published RFC 3454 (December 2002)
> is based on Unicode/3.2 (of course).  But there are (I believe) some
> new characters registered in Unicode/4.0.  Also, Markus Kuhn's good
> point recently on Linux I18N list that the character class of
> SOFT-HYPHEN just changed in Unicode/4.0 (which affects Stringprep).

None of this affects the definition of UTF-8. The reference to Unicode 4 is for the definition of
the character encoding scheme and related definitions. Unicode 4 is useful because 1. it will be a
book soon and 2. its description of all of the core UTFs is much clearer and explicit than before.

> Since a lot of IETF WGs are doing Stringprep profiles, it would be
> desirable that they were referencing Unicode/4.0 - thus new exclusions
> tables are needed, for example.

Only for new profiles, right?

markus

--
Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.