RE: New draft-yergeau-rfc2279bis-05.txt

From: McDonald, Ira <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:55:02 -0700
To: "'Markus Scherer'" <markus.scherer@jtcsv.com>, charsets <ietf-charsets@iana.org>

Hi Markus,

I agree that UTF-8 should be defined based on Unicode/4.0, but...

Stringprep (RFC 3454) states that it is _only_ valid for use with
Unicode/3.2.  Which means that IETF protocols now writing Stringprep
profiles are _only_ valid for use with Unicode/3.2.  RFC 3454 actually
says it must be revised before Stringprep can be used with a later
version of Unicode.  New base tables (not just profiles) must be
published.

Restricting IETF protocols to use of Unicode/3.2 is not a desirable
outcome of the IETF's wide support for the Stringprep approach.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald,
  High North Inc