Re: Registration of new charset CESU-8

From: Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 14:10:50 -0800 (PST)
To: toby_phipps@peoplesoft.com
Cc: ietf-charsets@iana.org

> Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
>
> >The statement "It is not intended nor recommended as an encoding used
> >for open information exchange." is underlined in the TR for emphasis.

The more important problem, from the point of view of the Unicode
Consortium at this point, is that the "TR" is not yet an approved
TR. It is a Draft Unicode Technical Report, available for
public review, but not yet finally approved. I quote from the
status section:

"This is a draft document which may be updated, replaced, or
superseded by other documents at any time. This is not a stable
document; it is inappropriate to cite this document as other
than a work in progress."

So while it may be appropriate for Toby to start a registration
on the basis of the current definition, I don't think it would be
appropriate to actually approve and post a registration for "CESU-8"
until the DUTR #26 is actually approved by the UTC and posted as
a final UTR #26 -- at which point the document becomes stable
and referenceable.

--Ken