Re: Tidy config files and retaining blank lines

On 24/11/2007, Mike Breiding <mike@epicroadtrips.us> wrote:
> At 11:23 AM 11/24/2007 , you wrote:
> Each configuration options has a default. If the user specifies a
> configuration options using the command line or a configuration file,
> then the specified options take the value
> given by the user.
> Nothing specific to tidy.
>
> I suspect you want to use <p>&nbsp;<p> in you document.
> This would require one after every comment entry, something I am reluctant
> to do.
>
> As well, try setting to "drop-empty-paras" to "no".
> I used this and this only:
> "drop-empty-paras: no"
>
> Tidy still stripped multiple ^ps down to one per line.
>
> Read http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/tidy_man.html for
> more explanation.
> "drop-empty-paras
> Type: Boolean
> Default: yes
> Example: y/n, yes/no, t/f, true/false, 1/0
> This option specifies if Tidy should discard empty paragraphs."
>
> It seems to me empty paragraphs are not the problem.
> It is lines with multiple ^p which tidy is changing.

By definition, by using a pretty-printer such a tidy, you have to give up on
some of your style desires. Tidy parses some HTML, optionally cleans it up
and reformats it with on output. Your line breaks are simply discarded.
The closest you will get with tidy is setting "vertical-space" to
"yes", in which case more line breaks are inserted between blocks.

Regards,