Re: Can Tidy stop changing web addresses (URIs/URLs)?

* Michael Jennings wrote:
>How do I get HTML Tidy to stop changing web addresses (URI/URL)?
>
>Fix-URI does not work:
>http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#fix-uri

Please send sample code, config options and detailed information on what
version of HTML Tidy you use (e.g., where did you get it from, what does
`tidy -v` tell you). I am not able to reproduce any problem with that
function. --fix-uri enables you to control how Tidy deals with invalid
characters in URIs, e.g.

is such a invalid URI reference, with enabled --fix-uri Tidy will change
it to

There is another option --fix-backslash that turns invalid references
like

into

A third config option --quote-ampersand specifies how Tidy deals with
invalid entity references in the document, e.g.

will be cleaned up to

if the option is set to a true value. By default, all these options are
enabled, and that's necessary in order get a valid document.

>It is NEVER correct to change a web address.

Tidy does not change URIs, it turns invalid URIs or invalid
representations of URIs into valid ones, and it does so in a way
consistent with the HTML 4.01 Recommendation.

>That's because a web site
>designer can use any string of characters to express a method of
>accessing a database, for example.

Sure, but that individual must properly escape this string in order to
get a valid (HTML representation of a valid) URI reference. Tidy will
not change the document, if it does not encounter any problems.