Re: tidy, indentation and XML/SGML rules

* Fred Bone wrote:
>> My problem is that tidy breaks lines between elements, like this :
>> <elem1><elem2>Content of elem2
>> is changed to
>> <elem1>
>>   <elem2>Content of elem2
>>
>> The result is far easier to read, but...
>> the content of the document has been _changed_ : the newline between
>> <elem1> and <elem2> has been added.
>
>I'm no expert on XML, but as far as I can tell this would only be a
>change of content if you have elem1 defined with
>xml:space='preserve', and then only the blanks would be significant
>(and not the newline).

No, Jany is right here, in XML by default all white space is significant
and as she points out, Tidy changes white space in the document. I
remember some feature requests regarding XML pretty printing and bug
reports on XML vs. Tidy's treatment of white space. I am not sure how
useful Tidy is for generic XML pretty printing...