Re: tidy, indentation and XML/SGML rules

From: Fred Bone <Fred.Bone@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:08:43 +0100
To: html-tidy@w3.org

On 11 Oct 2002 at 16:06, Jany Quintard wrote:

> I suppose that with its silly object (tt, sorry), my previous post was
> simply ignored.

I doubt it, but it can take a while for people to come up with
answers.

> My problem is that tidy breaks lines between elements, like this :
> <elem1><elem2>Content of elem2
> is changed to
> <elem1>
>   <elem2>Content of elem2
>
> The result is far easier to read, but...
> the content of the document has been _changed_ : the newline between
> <elem1> and <elem2> has been added.

I'm no expert on XML, but as far as I can tell this would only be a
change of content if you have elem1 defined with
xml:space='preserve', and then only the blanks would be significant
(and not the newline). The HTML4.1 spec says (appendix B.3.1):
> SGML (see [ISO8879], section 7.6.1) specifies that a line break
> immediately following a start tag must be ignored
and this should, AIUI, also be true in XML (though I can't find
anything in the XML spec corresponding to what I've quoted from the
HTML one).