tidy, indentation and XML/SGML rules

From: Jany Quintard <jany.quintard@free.fr>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:06:18 +0200
To: html-tidy@w3.org

I suppose that with its silly object (tt, sorry), my previous post was
simply ignored. So I send it again, hoping for an answer.

I believe that I asked this, but I am not sure wether I got an answer.
Tidy is very useful for cleaning HTML files and I use it to pretty print XML
files too.
My problem is that tidy breaks lines between elements, like this :
<elem1><elem2>Content of elem2
is changed to
  <elem2>Content of elem2

The result is far easier to read, but...
the content of the document has been _changed_ : the newline between
<elem1> and <elem2> has been added.
Would it be possible to break lines in the tags, such as
     >Content of elem2

It does not look so pretty, but is more correct.
Jade and Openjade use this process for breaking lines.