Re: How to install

At 11:30 AM -0400 7/18/02, Charles Reitzel wrote:
>"make install" should copy the binary file to /usr/local/bin.  You can
>change the location by updating INSTALLDIR in the Makefile.  It will also
>update the permissions to give group and world read/execute privs and
>change the group and owner to "bin".  Have a look at the "install" make
>target for details.
>
>Have you got the build working yet?  Also, for x86, you may be able to use
>one of the other Linux binaries directly - or am I showing my Linux
>ignorance?

>At 10:03 AM 7/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>I downloaded the latest source code from the official tidy page (I believe
>>it was June 7 or 9).  When I get it, I just dont know what to do.  There
>>is a Makefile.  Can I use this somehow?  Can someone give me step-by step
>>instructions or tell me if they already exist? like:
>>     1. ./Makefile
>>     2. gcc tidy.c
>>     3. make install
>>     4. tidy
>>NOTE these are not even close to how to install.
>>I dont think that there's any problem with my configuration, just that I
>>dont know what I'm doing.  I've found that most source distros have an
>>INSTALL file with simple instructions to install the program, so I'm
>>without a clue when there's no step-by-step instructions.  I think
>>practically everyone here has more experience with *nix than me, so you'll
>>probably (hopefully) be able to figure this one out.

While it isn't explicitly stated on the web site, these beta releases are
primarily for people who know what they are doing <grin>. A real release in
the future will likely to have some kind of "INSTALL" file.

But Charlie basically has it correct. I don't use the Makefile much on my
platform, but when I do, I typically just do a build of Tidy, and don't
even bother installing it.

e.g.

make tidy

I don't expect there should be any issues on your platform, but if you need
to override settings in the Makefile, you can probably do so in the
standard way.

e.g.

make tidy CC=cc

And as Charlie says, a Linux_x86 pre-built binary may just work out of the box.

Regards, Terry