Re: XHTML issue

* Carter, Wendy J. (LNG-CIS) wrote:
>When the input file contains internal anchors, such as: <a name="1">1.</a>,
>and the output is switched to xhtml,  the result is:  <a id="1"
>name="1">1.</a>.

A good thing in general.

>The name attribute is valid, as name is NMTOKEN in loose
>xhtml, but the id is invalid.

Maybe "valid" but not "conforming", the recommendation restricts the
value further to match the Name production in XML 1.0 and "1" doesn't
do so. Upcoming Tidy versions will include better checks for name and
id attributes.

>I understand that the name attribute is depreciated in xhtml

"deprecated", it already was in HTML 4.01.

>and that an id attribute is a good practice,

_Required_, the name attribute only may be used for better
compatibility. Newer XHTML versions don't include the name attribute
at all.

>but I would like to turn off the "id" being automatically output,
>and cannot find a way to do so.

There isn't and I don't see any good reason to change that.