XHTML issue

From: Carter, Wendy J. (LNG-CIS) <Wendy.Carter@lexisnexis.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:00:23 -0400
To: "'html-tidy@w3.org'" <html-tidy@w3.org>
I'm using Tidy to convert plain vanilla HTML into XHTML, and am running into
a problem.

When the input file contains internal anchors, such as: <a name="1">1.</a>,
and the output is switched to xhtml,  the result is:  <a id="1"
name="1">1.</a>.  The name attribute is valid, as name is NMTOKEN in loose
xhtml, but the id is invalid.  I understand that the name attribute is
depreciated in xhtml and that an id attribute is a good practice, but I
would like to turn off the "id" being automatically output, and cannot find
a way to do so.

Any advice?

Wendy