Re: hide-endtags

From: J. David Bryan <jdbryan@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:29:19 -0500
To: HTML Tidy List <html-tidy@w3.org>
On 21 Mar 2001, at 21:36, Tim Tabor wrote:

> Howdy.  I've got a small issue with this option.
>
> [...]
>
> And similarly for large files - it strips off the <html> and

You didn't cite a target HTML version, but the DTD for HTML 4.01 has, for
the HTML and BODY elements:

  <!ELEMENT HTML O O [...]  -->
  <!ELEMENT BODY O O [...]  -->

...which indicates that both the start and end tags for those elements are
optional.

Therefore, I'm not clear as to what you prefer.  Is your issue that the
option should be renamed to reflect the omission of *all* optional tags,
and not simply optional end tags, or that HTML Tidy should omit optional
end tags but not optional start tags?  In other words, do you recommend
renaming the option and keeping the current behavior, or do you prefer that
Tidy instead generate:

   <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
   <title></title>
   hello

for your test case?

                                      -- Dave