Re: About HTML 4.01 Strict

From: J. David Bryan <jdbryan@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:48:14 -0500
To: HTML Tidy List <html-tidy@w3.org>
On 13 Feb 2001, at 9:36, Pete Tedder wrote:

> Whilst I can see that it might look off-topic it has always been one of
> the few things I've disliked about Tidy that it takes my <div
> align="center"> lines and turns them into a CSS text-align styles that
> don't do the same thing for, for example, aligning tables.

I must admit that I don't see how anything directly related to the
operation of HTML Tidy can be considered off-topic for this list, and
indeed Tidy appears to be a bit naive in its substitution of CSS for
presentational HTML in some cases.

I recently used Tidy to help in the conversion a 100+ page site into HTML
4.01 Strict in preparation for manually adding CSS, and Tidy was unable to
completely remove all presentational attributes.  It would be ideal if Tidy
could make thorough CSS replacements for presentational HTML, but it would
still be a worthy enhancement to have Tidy at least offer to strip all
vestiges of deprecated elements and attributes.

Still, for what Tidy did do, I am quite grateful, as it saved a bundle of
time!

                                      -- Dave