RE: About HTML 4.01 Strict

From: Bischoff, Alex <Alex.Bischoff@xpedior.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:22:35 -0600
To: html-tidy@w3.org
> Whilst I can see that it might look off-topic it has always
> been one of
> the few things I've disliked about Tidy that it takes my <div
> align="center"> lines and turns them into a CSS text-align styles that
> don't do the same thing for, for example, aligning tables.  [And I do
> use CSS for everything that I (and enough browsers) can].

The primarily problem with using ALIGN is that it's deprecated
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#adef-align), and thus the
code wouldn't validate for 4.01 Strict (IIRC).

So, I then have a question for the group: what method can I use to center
block-level elements (such as tables) such that the code will validate to
4.01 Strict or (even better) XHTML 1.0 Strict?

I'm fairly fluent with CSS, but the only somewhat-applicable property that I
see is "text-align" which, obviously, has no effect on images, tables, and
the like.

Alex Bischoff                                              3812078 on ICQ
 export-a-crypto-system-sig RSA-2-lines-PERL
 Proof That There is Strength in Numbers --> http://www.distributed.net/