RE: SourceForge Project Approved

Hi Valeri,

I was shooting for pure ANSI C.  But, it is a rough draft and may not
compile!  I'll try to build it tonight and update the document in the
project (see Project Documentation under
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tidy).

As for DOM compatibility, this is a fairly complicated topic and something
I'd like to avoid saddling the project with at this early stage.

If we do our job right, you should be able to use the library to write an
adapter that emits SAX events.  In general, if you can emit SAX events, you
can load a DOM.  It may even be possible to implement a DOM wrapper
directly.

For C/C++, however, you can't assume source compatibility w/ any DOM.  I.e.
there are no standard w3c header files for a C++ DOM.  Also, C++ linkage is
not portable between compilers.  Thus, we would need a separate Tidy-To-DOM
adapter for each C++ DOM implementation: Apache, GNOME, others?  All in good
time, I hope.

All that said, I like your diagram very much.  I think you have captured
Björn Höhrmann's original idea very well.  All I would change is to replace
the name DOM w/ "Tidy Document Tree".  In this scenario, a SAX event stream
and/or DOM wrapper is another output "format".

See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/html-tidy/2001AprJun/0027.html

Btw, Tidy currently performs "optimization" as part of the parse.

Charlie