Understanding Tidy

From: Howard Kaikow <kaikow@standards.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 12:06:02 -0500
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Cc: Howard Kaikow <kaikow@standards.com>
I find it confusing when Tidy tells me I cannot use (leaving out details):

<FONT>
	<UL>
		<LI>
		<LI>
	</UL>
	<P>Whatever
</FONT>

Tidy wants to see a </FONT> before the <UL>.
Is SGML/HTML really that restrictive?
If so, I'd like to see the specs for this?

In order to understand Tidy, it would help to learn where is the formal
specification on how tags can be nested.

Is this info in the HTML 4 spec? I cannot seem to find the info.
Or do I have to look at the SGML Handbook to learn SGML's rules?