Re: how come JTidy doesn't use org.w3c.dom from Apache Xerces?

From: Sami Lempinen <lempinen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 17:32:05 +0200
To: Gary L Peskin <garyp@firstech.com>
Cc: jtnews <jtnews@bellatlantic.net>, html-tidy@w3.org
Greetings,

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 08:15:32PM -0800, Gary L Peskin wrote:

> Historically, I think Andy used his own DOM classes when
> developing/incorporating the DOM support into JTidy.  However, I think
> its a good idea for everyone to be reading off the same page.  The
> Xerces people seem to keep as up to date as anyone.
> I believe there might be a licensing issue here.  I'm copying Sami on
> this email because maybe he could check the Xerces license at
> http://xml.apache.org and see if we can incorporate their code and if it
> is compatible with the JTidy license.

Hmm, there might be some licensing issues at play here. The Tidy code
at the moment uses a W3C license, which is really liberal. Inclusion
of Apache licensed software (like Xerces) would require that a) JTidy
begins to agree with the terms of the Apache license and b) any
software based on JTidy would also need to be Apache-friendly.

The Apache license is rather liberal too, but it requires the clause
"this product uses software..." present in the product or its
documentation.

The license issue needs sorting out anyhow. When I asked Andy about
it, he replied that basically Dave and W3C control that issue. I am
not a lawyer or a licence expert, so I think that a clearer license
than the one currently manifested in the JTidy sources might come in
handy. I don't know. People who've worked with JTidy longer should
really comment on this.

> If so, I'll move their classes in and make JTidy implement all of the
> required methods.  In the meantime, I'll start adding the required
> methods to the JTidy DOM classes.

Please do not do anything yet that would require us to include Xerces
in the distribution, as the license issue needs to be sorted out
first. Suggestions?

-Sami

--
lempinen@iki.fi http://www.iki.fi/lempinen/