feature request [Re: JavaScript Rollovers and Tidy (bug?)]

From: Sebastian Lange <lange@cyperfection.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:13:07 +0200
To: HTML Tidy List <html-tidy@w3.org>
Hello Dave,

Even though XHTML defines attributes to be lowercase, I (and I guess a
couple other authors, too) would be happy to see an option introduced which
alows to have attribute rendered in mixed case as well as either upper or
lower case.

I might have said this before, but just thought this'd be a good reason to
throw in my $.02 again... :-)

Bottom line: if not too much hassle, we'd greatly appreciate you to add
"mixed case attributes" as an option for the config file.

Also, I would very much appreciate an option to drop unknown attributes. My
current workaround, to drop known FALSE attributes, CAN'T be the right
approach... ;-)
Or did I miss something and this is actually already possible?

At 13:49 02.06.2000 +0100, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2 May 2000, Marcus wrote:
> > If you ever get the time to let me know what my error is, that
> > would be terrific, but I don't expect you to have time, so
> > PLEASE dont feel in any way that I am asking you to do so!! =).
> > I have been experimenting with Tidy and cannot figure out a way
> > to prevent it from rendering my Javascript rollovers in all
> > lower case (ie: onMouseOver becomes onmouseover). This crashes
> > in IE (of course...) >:( . I am using Tidy in 1st Page 2000 and
> > have tested this in the TidyGUI linked to from your page. I have
> > not tested it with the Command Prompt version you offer,
> > however.
> >From my testing, IE5 doesn't care what the case is for attribute
>names such as onmouseover. Indeed, XHTML defines this attribute as
>all lower case. I suspect some other problem is causing your page
>to fail in IE.
>Take a look at my tutoral on html and CSS which works in both
>Navigator and IE.
>   http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/Advanced.html
>-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
>tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 778 532 0444 (mobile)
>World Wide Web Consortium (on assignment from HP Labs)

Sebastian Lange
Maybe the first chat site that validates as HTML
4.0 even though user input may contain HTML codes.

Courtesy to Dave Raggett's HTML Tidy: