Re: Appending the error file?

From: Alexander Biron <biron@ifh.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:51:01 +0200 (METDST)
To: Pete Gelbman <pete@arraycomm.com>
cc: html-tidy@w3.org, gerald@w3.org
Hi,

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Pete Gelbman wrote:

> 1. Add option to create auto-backups of the original input file, if using the
> write-back option.

I like this idea:

> 2. Add option to *append* the error file rather than overwrite it when using
> the error-file option. The file should be time-stamped and delimited on each
> pass.

This I also like: In combination with the above, it allows to
automatically tidy many files at once, keeping backups in case one or
a few files had problems and having only one error file

> 3. Direct error/warning output to *both* STDOUT (terminal) as well as the
> error-file, when using the error-file option.

Many people don't want every warning on the screen and therefore use the
error-file. Perhaps it would be good to have a config-file option for
your wish, but IMHO the default should be as it is.

--
Cheers alex          Alexander Biron

work:	http://www.ifh.de/~biron/	private:
	Tel (+49)33762-77-483   	Tel(+49)30-4948857
	mailto:biron@ifh.de    		mailto:biron@frohnau-flamingos.de