Re: Possible Bugs

From: J. David Bryan <jdbryan@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 00:47:20 -0400
To: HTML Tidy List <html-tidy@w3.org>
On 21 Apr 2000, at 22:53, Jim Maciorowski wrote:

> I ran your HTML Tidy utility on it and came up with the following:
>
> line 20 column 2 - Warning: <style> isn't allowed in <body> elements

I didn't get that error.  Have you changed your page since posting?

> line 139 column 1 - Warning: expected "html PUBLIC" or "html SYSTEM"

This is apparently caused by the line break between the "PUBLIC" and the
DTD.  Putting them on the same line eliminates the warning.  I suspect
that's a problem with Tidy's parsing.

> I thought that "html PUBLIC" was introduced in the beginning, not the
> ending.

It is.  However, the Tidy warning comes at the end of the file presumably
because it was looking for a DOCTYPE line and never found one it recognized
(because of the parsing problem).  The error points to the end of the file,
which is the point that Tidy concludes that you didn't have a recognizable
DOCTYPE.

                                      -- Dave