Appending the error file?

From: Pete Gelbman <pete@arraycomm.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:39:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Hi,

Recently started using Tidy and it's great! Many thanks to Dave and the others!

I have some minor suggestions for improved functionality:

1. Add option to create auto-backups of the original input file, if using the
write-back option.

2. Add option to *append* the error file rather than overwrite it when using
the error-file option. The file should be time-stamped and delimited on each
pass.

3. Direct error/warning output to *both* STDOUT (terminal) as well as the
error-file, when using the error-file option.

I use the following function to invoke Tidy with above add-on features.
Perhaps someone else will find it useful. It's written as Bash shell function
under Linux, but the simple concept could be re-written as a perl/csh/bat or
whatever script for your particular system...

function fix {	# $1 is the 1st arg
    cp $1 ~/.tidy_backups/$1.bak;
    date >> ~/.logs/tidy_errors;
    tidy -m $1 2>>~/.logs/tidy_errors;