Re: Yet another table related bug

At 1:16 PM +0300 10/28/99, Jussi Vestman wrote:
>I found out that following HTML causes tidy to crash:

><head>
><title>Some title</title>
></head>
><dl>
><hr>
>blaah blaah...
></dl>
>
>I found that when I tried to clean my browser cache. BTW It is a good
>method to stress test tidy and find new bugs. The file that originally
>crashed tidy is at
>http://www.idiom.com/free-compilers/ECATEGORY/compiler-1.html.
>
>I am not sure, if this is a known bug. Does there exist any list of tidy's
>known bugs?

As an FYI, I ran the above code through the Mac OS version of Tidy (22 Oct
99), and it produced the following without crashing (that's not to say
there isn't a bug there).

MacTidy (vers 19th October 1999) Parsing "Work:FilterTop:Filter
Code:MacTidy:bug reports:table problem.html"
line 7 column 1 - Warning: missing </font> before <dl>
line 7 column 1 - Warning: trimming empty <font>
line 8 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
line 8 column 1 - Warning: missing <dd>
line 9 column 1 - Warning: missing <tr>
line 9 column 1 - Warning: discarding unexpected <table>
line 9 column 1 - Warning: <hr> isn't allowed in <> elements
line 10 column 1 - Warning: missing <td>
line 14 column 1 - Warning: </table> isn't allowed in <hr> elements
line 14 column 1 - Warning: discarding unexpected </table>

"Work:FilterTop:Filter Code:MacTidy:bug reports:table problem.html" appears
to be HTML 3.2
10 warnings/errors were found!

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<head>
<title>Some title</title>
</head>
<dl>
<dd>
<hr>
</dd>
</dl>

The table summary attribute should be used to describe
the table structure. It is very helpful for people using
non-visual browsers. The scope and headers attributes for
table cells are useful for specifying which headers apply
to each table cell, enabling non-visual browsers to provide
a meaningful context for each cell.

For further advice on how to make your pages accessible
see "http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL". You may also want to try
"http://www.cast.org/bobby/" which is a free Web-based
service for checking URLs for accessibility.

You are recommended to use CSS to specify the font and
properties such as its size and color. This will reduce
the size of HTML files and make them easier maintain
compared with using <FONT> elements.

HTML & CSS specifications are available from http://www.w3.org/
To learn more about Tidy see http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
Please send bug reports to Dave Raggett care of <html-tidy@w3.org>