Re: Asp server side script translations

 From: Darren Forcier <dforcier@allaire.com>

> when the & conversion settings are passed to Tidy.  Future enhancement
> request: bypass conversions inside of ASP <% %> delimiters. This
> would probably apply to other server
> side scripting languages as well such as Cold Fusion CFML, and others.

I suggest a different approach:  upgrade tidy to know about processing
instructions, and allow the passing of the open and close delimiters in the
config file.

For XML and XHTML, the delimiters are <?  and  ?>
For RCS SGML (i.e., the default), the delimiters are <? and >
For HTML, there are no delimiters
For HTML as allowed by some servers for server-side include, the delimiters
are <!-- #  and -->
For ASP and JSP, the delimiters are <% and %>

Processing instructions are a good thing: they allow embedded messages
targeted at distinct processing-phases. Server-side includes are just
processing instructions: they don't use <?  and  ?> because HTML is a
delivery format and has (until XHTML) rather shied away from document
construction issues. But the delimiter issue is secondary to the
functionality.

Rick Jelliffe