(unknown charset) Re: Html TIDY

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Karl Prinz wrote:

> Betrifft: HTML Tidy Version 4/99
>

> Dear Dave,
>
> HTML Tidy is really a nice and very fast parsing and converting
> tool, congratualitions!!
>
> But for me some questions are left:
>
> When I use the meta tag "<meta http-equiv="content-type"
> content="text/html;CHARSET=iso8859-1">" to avoid the conversion
> of german umlauts, HTML Tidy ignores this and converts all of
> the umlauts (ä into &auml; etc.), is this necessary, as far as I
> know only the MSIE for Mac has problems with german unlauts.

Tidy isn't currently looking at the meta element for this. A work
around is to either get Tidy to map Latin-1 characters to numeric
entities or to map them to native Latin-1 character values. You
can do this via the command line options or the config file.
See the tidy home page for details:

   http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy

> As far as I know, calling a script has following syntax: "
> <script language="javascript"> emailKarl(),
> updateDate()</script> TIDY alters this into <script
> language="javascript" type="text/javascript">emailKarl(),
> updateDate()</script>. This corresponds with the general
> declaration of the script laguage and causes no errors, but is
> this necessary for XHTML?

Yes, it is specified by the HTML 4.0 spec from which XHTML is
derived. The former HTML working group disapproved of the
language attribute for the script element, preferring instead
the type attribute which is based on Internet Media Types.

> According to my humble opinon TIDYs formating of the source code
> is very inconveniant, is the a possibility to preserve the
> formating of the source file in the destination file?

That would be very hard since Tidy works by creating a clean parse
tree from the markup and pretty printing it to create the output.
You may find that the options available to you in the config file
offer what you want. If not can you be specific about your
preferrences for how markup should be formatted.

phone: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)