Re: from-page-master-region() and Re: reference-orientation

The XSL FO SG discussed this issue again at our recent f2f.

We reconfirmed our position on this issue which is that there
will be no change to the 1.1 spec in this area.

We understand that there are two ways inheritance could work
in the FO tree with respect to the properties in the layout-master-set.
Each of the two ways is necessary to support certain capabilities.
In scoping XSL 1.0, we decided to restrict ourselves to a single
simple inheritance model that always follows the structure of the
formatting object tree (section 5.1.4); that limitation continues
in XSL 1.1. We have always had plans to allow the other way as part
of a larger effort to support layout-driven composition requirements,
but we determined that work to be out of scope for 1.0. The reasons
we picked the inheritance model we did instead of the other one are:
(1) we had to choose one for 1.0, and most of the time one wants
inheritance from the content, and (2) though out of scope for 1.0,
we knew we would want to do layout-driven formatting at some point,
and this would require much more capability to "inherit" properties
in ways other than down the formatting object tree, so we decided
we'd leave all such capabilities for the future work.

Between 1.0 and 1.1, we realized that the 1.0 wording wasn't clear.
(For example, we discovered that while RenderX interpreted it the
way we meant, Antenna House interpreted it differently. Antenna
House's latest implementation has now been modified to follow the
clarified interpretation.) This led us to reword this section
in 1.1 to clarify our original intent. It also led us to add the
from-page-master-region() function to 1.1 to enable stylesheet
writers to access writing-mode and reference-orientation from
the page-master. In a future version of XSL, we plan to extend
this function to enable it to access other properties from the
page master and to use this function within expressions.

Paul Grosso
for the XSL FO SG