RE: 1.1 WD suggestions on extension attributes/properties

XSLT 1.0 had a similar sentence for extension attributes, and you might like
to look at the way we changed it for 2.0. In effect, it now says that an
extension attribute may not change the behavior of the processor to a
non-conformant behavior, but it may change it "to the extent that the
behavior is implementation-defined or implementation-dependent". So if
there's nothing in XSL-FO that says whether the pages in the final document
should be stapled together, you can add an extension attribute asking for
them to be stapled; but if the spec says that they must not be stapled
together, then such an extension would be disallowed.

Michael Kay