RE: outdated link in XSLT recomandation

Thank you for the comment.

With hindsight, it was a serious mistake for XSLT 1.0 to contain this
normative reference to JDK 1.1. It's not just a question of a broken
hyperlink; the JDK 1.1 specification of DecimalFormat was itself very
incomplete, and is almost impossible to interpret without either studying
how Java actually behaves, or reading later versions of the JDK
specification. This has its own problems because later versions of the JDK
specification describe behavior that was present in JDK 1.1 but could never
have been guessed by a reader of the JDK 1.1 specification. This has caused
difficulties for implementors whether or not their products are based on
Java.

For XSLT 2.0 we've fixed the problem by removing the dependency on Java and
writing our own self-contained specification of format-number.

There's not much we can do about the 1.0 specification at this stage. We
could issue an erratum that updates the reference to point to the current
location (http://java.sun.com/products/archive/jdk/1.1/) but this doesn't
really solve the problem.

Michael Kay
(a personal response)