Re: XSL 1.1 WD comment: The properties which may be attached to an F O.

At 10:11 2004 01 16 -0600, Paul Grosso wrote:

>At 08:56 2004 01 16 +1000, Peter B. West wrote:
>
>>Paul Grosso wrote:

>>>Thanks for your input.  The XSL FO subgroup will be considering all
>>>comments in the formulation of our next draft.
>>>I've got some comments just from myself (not the group) embedded below.
>>>There is nothing non-conformant about an XSL FO tree that
>>>has any property on any FO, but if a non-inheritable property
>>>appears on an FO to which it doesn't apply, it will have no
>>>effect--since "applying (to an FO)" is equivalent to "having an effect (for that FO)".  The reason it makes sense to put
>>>an inheritable property on an FO to which it doesn't apply
>>>is that such a property may be applicable to a descendant
>>>FO which will inherit the value.
>>
>>Paul,
>>
>>What about from-parent() & from-nearest-specified-value() ?
>
>I thought of this before I gave my previous answer, but I
>was concentrating on "applying", and these functions don't
>change "applying to", so I think my answer stands.
>
>But you are effectively asking the following question:
>
>  If one has a non-inheritable property on an FO to which that
>  property does not apply, and a descendant FO to which that
>  property does apply references that property via a from-parent()
>  or from-nearest-specified-value() function call, what value
>  is returned by that function call?
>
>I will pass this question on to the group.  The tricky thing is
>that these functions return the "computed value" of the property,
>and I'm not sure if a property has a computed value if that
>property doesn't apply (but I'm not sure if it doesn't either,
>which is why I'll be asking others who are more expert on the
>data model here).

The answer of the XSL FO SG is that any property can appear on
any FO (note, "appear on" is different from "apply to"), and
that property would have its usual computed value.  (Note that
the computed value of a relative property such as margin-left
is a relative value, not the corresponding absolute value.)
This computed value is what would be returned by a from-parent()
or from-nearest-specified-value() function call.

paul